Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Loved Bird House, Flux Sunday 7/26

I LOVED Kate Marks' BIRD HOUSE on Friday. Of course, I went to see it on the last weekend, so am recommending it too late to do any good. It closed Sunday.

The design work on the play was outstanding. It featured precious little insect and bird puppets, gorgeous projections, a quaint fairy tale cottage on one side of the stage and a gritty, drear warscape on the other side of the stage. Very evocative. Leads Cotton Wright and Christina Shipp could not have done better jobs with challenging and quirky roles. Their highly physical approach was reminicent of circus clowns and silent movie comedians, but they always remained grounded and genuine. Kylie Liya Goldstein as Myra was wonderous and astonishing. She completely changed my concept of a child actor by delivering a performance I would not have thought possible from a girl her age. Layered, vulnerable, delightfully comic, fully believable and heart-wrenchingly charming. Kate's script is a dreamscape masterpiece, with a bubbly surprise twist to every line leading up to a grim and satisfying darkening end.

Also attended a Flux Sunday (where writers, actors and directors gather to read or put together staged readings of scenes from writer's latest plays) on the 26th. We only had two plays to read, Corey Ann Haydu's WIFE TRAINING (I may have screwed up the title, sorry) and my new play, working title CURSED (but that sucks, so I am still searching for a new one) the first play in my new ANGEL EATERS: ORIGINS trilogy. We were going to have a play from Gus Schulenburg, too, but the printer ate it. :-(

I love WIFE TRAINING. I wish I had written it. It is a sci fi-ish, alternate reality, distopia play about gender politics that is just endlessly fascinating. I love plays that are world-building in nature, that take you to a completely realized new world. I can't wait to see the whole thing read-- thus far I have only seen serial installments.

My new play is basically a Western, set around 1842, exploring the origins of the Angel Eaters curse. A Cherokee medicine woman unleashes a power that dooms seven generations to unnatural evil and crushing despair. Light, cheery stuff.

Ordered a bunch of hardcopies of my verse play, LICKSPITTLES, BUTTONHOLERS AND DAMNED PERNICIOUS GO-BETWEENS. Digging this online copy place, Best Value Copy.
15 copies (front and back and drilled) were only about 35bucks - and they shipped them to my apartment. Shipping might have been an extra 10 bucks, I think-- but still, it beats the hell out of Kinkos.

No comments: