Thursday, April 17, 2008

Untitled Mars and The NYTR Book Launch

Caught Untitled Mars by Jay Scheib at PS 122 last week. It is a sci/fi tech romp based heavily on Philip K. Dick's Martian Time-Slip. In fact, it is pretty much a straight adaptation of Martian Time-Slip, with a few interviews with current Martian colony experts on the science of Mars colonization inserted and some intriguing staging.

I thought the cast was top-notch. Tanya Sevaratnam (Jackie) really pulled me in and made me feel like I was watching a real person. The staging is very reminiscent of Ivo van Hove's Misanthrope at NYTW last year-- with cameras and big screens and backstage moments. Not a device that does a whole lot for me, but people who dug Misanthrope should also like this. I liked the real science tidbits the best. I was happiest in the moments where I felt like I had accidentally intruded on an MIT lecture on the probability of Martian colonization. That was all fascinating. It is a good show for a techno-geek or Philip K.-fanatic.

On Friday, I caught the New York Theatre Review book launch at the Drama Bookstore. They presented an excerpt from Tommy Smith's play White Hot that was one of the funniest and most engaging scenes I have seen in a long time. I was really bummed to have missed the production last year! Maybe it'll come back with the Fringe Fest or something. Also a fascinating essay from Victoria Linchong about the early history of and demise of the Cafe Cino in Greenwich in the 1960s. I finished reading that essay on the subway ride home from the launch and loved it. Lots of strong stuff this year!

In other news, the Maieutics Theatre Works' production of Sans Merci is cast and rehearsals should begin in a few weeks. I am not sure if actresses have been notified/accepted yet-- so no hints. Except the cast rocks and I expect miracles. I am frantically rewriting Godsbreath and 8 Little Antichrists simultaneously. Which will undoubtedly lead to my antichrist puppets raising game cocks and a procreationist multi-birth breeder vats with uterine simulant technology appearing in the Godsbreath cemetery. Which, hmmmm, might not be such a bad thing.

Planning to check out Babylon Babylon at the Brick on Friday. Am very excited about a play about temple slaves. How did they know about me and temple slaves?

No comments: