Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Casting a Trilogy



Spent the weekend at callbacks for the Flux Theatre Ensemble general auditions. The picture above shows headshots organized on chairs.

I had no idea auditions were so grueling. Between the general round of auditions (Feb 2 and 3) and the callback round this weekend, I think I spent about 36 hours sitting in the same chair, in the same room, watching actors. On Sunday, I also watched a huge blizzard build up, rage, and subside out the rooms windows.

I saw so many great performers! We could have cast most trilogy roles about three times over. Not sure when the final cast list will be announced. Hopefully within the week.


***********************

Other things I am reading, seeing, or thinking about:
  • Gus Schulenburg has a great bit of writing on measuring characters up to a formula (Action=Change=Need) on the Flux blog.
  • Jason Grote's Maria/Stuart kicked ass at the recent NYU hotINK readings. It was the same director and largely the same cast as when I saw it at the Soho Rep writers/directors lab reading last spring. Reminded me that attending multiple readings of plays in development can be fascinating and not torturous.
  • Working frantically on rewrites on Godsbreath to email to Darin Anthony in Los Angeles this week. That is going well and I expect to finish the new act one tonight. Hoping to get a new draft of 8 Little Antichrists finished for the March 1st Flux reading of the entire trilogy. I am in rewrite hell this month. Tumblewings, Rattlers, and Angel Eaters may also get new drafts this month.
  • Going to the Reverie Productions' writers' meeting tonight. I have been a huge flake and missed the last several meetings. Maybe I should bring doughnuts.


No comments: