Tuesday, January 15, 2008

8 Little Antichrists Draft Gets a Reading

Apologies for the Christmas shutdown here at Blindsquirrel Bloggings! Christmas always kicks my ass, and I had to finish the draft of 8 Little Antichrists for a Flux reading (held Sunday Jan 13th). Excuses, excuses, excuses.

I will do my utmost to be better. Hopefully, I can post some Christmas pictures from my holiday time in Texas later this week.

I officially have a first draft finished of ALL THREE PLAYS IN THE ANGEL EATER TRILOGY! Hooray! That is the good news. The bad news is that Angel Eaters and 8 Little Antichrists need some big rewrites. Rattlers needs some smaller rewrites. And from my Cockfighters trilogy (btw, the producers hate it when I call it that, and if anyone has a suggestion for a better trilogy name, please speak up!) Godsbreath also needs a desperate rewrite, with Tumblewings also needing a moderate rewrite. So I am in rewrite purgatory for the foreseeable future.

I rewrote a section of Cockfighters (Clarence's monologue over Shirl's body) last week. It felt very strange to re-work a play that old. Like having lunch with old high school or college friends and picking back up on those almost-forgotten personal dynamics. Will post the re-written section later this week for anyone who is familiar with that play and curious.

Flux Theatre Ensemble held an informal reading of 8 Little Antichrists on Sunday for company members-only. I was dreading it, because I know a the script isn't where I want it yet. But, Flux proved once again that their ensemble could cold read the phone book and make it look fantastic. I left with a smile on my face and a heart full of optimism for the future of my most ambitious play yet. Gus Schulenburg suggests I could turn the plot of this one into a sextology (which sounds very dirty) .

Recommended shows I've seen recently include: August: Osage County (brilliant second act!), and Reggie Watts' Disinformation at the Public's Under the Radar Festival.

August: Osage County features a character named Johnna, btw. That was irritating. Every five minutes the cast members were screaming my name. And she is the maid, which meant I kept feeling like I should get up from my seat and fetch things for them when they ordered her around. Also, they all speak in Oklahoma dialects. My mother is from Oklahoma, so it also felt like my mother was screaming orders at me from the grave. Despite all this, it is one of the best things I have seen this year and I heartily recommend it.

2 comments:

The Misanthrope said...

Glad you are posting again. Hey I am coming out your way Feb. 9 or 10, if I am not serving time. I'll explain later.

Johnna Adams said...

I can't wait to see you!! Wow. Serving time. I'd better get over to toner mishap and see what's going on!