Monday, May 14, 2007

Going to See Reverie and Flux Readings

Going back to see another Reverie Production's reading tonight. Peter Snoad's The Boiling House. Find more info here. Can't wait. Really liked the staff at Reverie when I went to Louise's reading and I like their taste in contest finalists quite a bit. So I am sure it is going to be fun. Also looking forward to getting to chat with Peter.

Also planning on going to the Flux Theatre reading of Octavio Solis' Dreamlandia. That's on Sunday at 6pm. Info here. I love that title and am utterly depressed that I have not written a play called Dreamlandia. It is very dull and stupid of me to have not thought to write a play by that title-- because it is the coolest title ever. Have traded a couple of emails with Gus, the AD there. Giving him wounded puppy eyes via email asking him to read some plays. He seems nice.

Got back around 6:30 last night from my Cousin Stephanie's wedding in Kansas City. Was supposed to get back around 4-- but Midwest Airlines seems to have a policy about delaying every flight by two hours. There was a two hour delay when I flew out there, too. Made me late for the rehearsal dinner. But, there was nothing for me to eat anyway. My relatives have trouble with the concept of "vegan." They know it means something utterly incomprehensively difficult to do with eating and several of them understand that has something to do with eating no meat. But the details defeat them-- they are constantly offering me salads covered in cheese and saying, "Why don't I fix you some eggs, then?" And adding the "Raw" complication sends them into utter, spiralling confusion. So, I just think of family visits as "fasting time." Since I am regarded in my family as one of the family members that "needs lots of attention," the complication of eating only raw vegan food does not surprise them much. One Aunt did sit with me at the wedding and talk a while about it ("With your diet, shouldn't you be a lot thinner?" she says with a frown.) I explained the existence of raw ice cream to her and gave her a general understanding of the fat content in nuts and oils. She still looked doubtful and couldn't quite grasp the concept of a 'diet' that did not live one 'thin' or move one noticeably in that direction. Couldn't understand how wedding cake did not meet the criteria for "raw vegan" since it didn't have meat. Sigh.

Anyway, the wedding was nice. Okay, I'm lying. I hated it. I was forced to serve as the "coordinator" (i.e., print out the programs all day, cue all the wedding party to walk down the aisle, and direct late-comers to a side aisle) despite the fact that I sent the bride an email before the wedding telling her I did not want to do this. I am the closest female cousin in age to the bride, and our mother's were closest in age (and best friends growing up). And yet I was the only female cousin attending who had not been asked to be a bridesmaid. Who wants to be a bridesmaid anyway, you ask? I DO, DAMNIT!!!!!!!!! I refer you back to the "likes attention" comment in the previous paragraph. And to add insult to injury, the wedding was held in a lovely downtown Kansas City theater, and the bridesmaid dresses were dark red (which looks exceedly good on me) and cute. And, the youngest female cousin announced her own engagement and wedding in October--so I am the only unattached female cousin left in the family. I am about to proclaim myself family-less, go live in a cave somewhere, and throw rocks at anyone who tries to visit. You see if I don't.

Got a lot of nice old family photographs while I was visiting. Will try to scan some and post interesting ones on the blog. I got a nice one of my great-grandmother Myrtle, who intigues me enough for me to plan a play around her life. And fun photos of my mother-- who died when I was 8. I love old family photos. And Aunt Nancy gave me some dresses from the seventies that I like. I can only fit into one, though. I also may go and do some quilting with my Aunt Joann later this year in St. Louis. I let my Aunt Bonnie cut my hair while I was there (she owns a beauty parlor in Maine), which I haven't done since I was eight. I hated the bowl cut she gave me then and stormed off slamming doors behind me in a sulk when she was done. But I like this cut. It is about shoulder length now. She said if I go up to Maine to visit she will give me a beehive like she and her sisters all wore in the 60s. Sweet. Also went to my Aunt Nancy's church to hear her and Aunt Bonnie and Cousin Lonna sing "In the Garden" on mother's day which was apparently Grandma Ruby's favorite song. Grandma Ruby died in 1988 and was buried on my sixteenth birthday. The family re-purposed a cake someone had brought over as a funeral offering as a brithday cake. And they wonder why I don't eat cake now.

Anyway, enough ramblings. More later.

No comments: